Analytics

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Day 14 of 365

I want it now!!! 

Today I am musing about the role that patience plays in fulfilling my dreams. The role that patience MUST PLAY in writing this novel and getting it published. 

I have been meditating lately on my goals, my dreams, my desires. I stretch and I meditate. I walk and I think. I read and I let my thoughts alternate between what I am reading and what I want out of life, and for this book. It all feels good, flowing, positive. The only problem is... 

I want it all, and I want it now! 

"Patience, grasshopper." 

I know for myself when I try to rush the natural order of things I take shortcuts, I push, and I try to force an outcome that is not ready to reveal itself yet. In the end, when I rush, the result is almost always less appealing than what it could have been. 

So with "My Journey with Lea" I am taking my time. I am letting the story come to me. When I sit down to write and nothing happens, I walk away. When I have a few minutes to write and the words are flowing through my fingers I do all that I can to stretch the moment out and just keep going. I want it all to come together, and I know it will, on it's own timeline. (As long as that timeline is within the next 351 days!) 

So here I am, after two days of writing, with more patience than I knew I ever had, sharing with you some of the story that has been coming to me. 

Leo, on the other hand, had very little patience when it came to people. Horses he knew, patience for them was easy. Allow me to introduce to Leo and his world. 

Until Rachel came into his world Leo Ciotte cared about only one thing - his horses. He ran a small but meticulous farm on the outskirts of McMinnville, Tennessee, a still developing but somewhat thriving town at the base of the Cumberland Plateau. Leo was well known throughout Warren County for his gentle but thorough approach to training young horses. He could take any three year old mare, gelding, or stallion and within a few months they were ready for their “role” in life. No one knew how to get through to a horse better than Leo, and his services were highly sought after. But Leo consistently resisted the pleas to take on more clients, keeping his business efficient and manageable. 

Highland Rim Stables was a small operation by choice. Leo was full of energy and had a dynamic, engaging, and boisterous personality that drew others in. The problem was, Leo felt drained by crowds, and disliked it when people wanted to be around him. He let precious few into his world, and even fewer were allowed to pay for his expert services. He typically selected other “horse people” that didn’t appear to be a threat to his sanctuary. Maybe it was his Choctaw Indian heritage that made him a bit reclusive. Or perhaps it was the fact that he had seen far too many animals abused at the hands of demanding, heartless owners. Whatever it was, Leo was perfectly happy to be left alone on his farm, until that one chance encounter at the Feed Store.

Leo was not a fan of patience, but he knew with absolute certainty what he did and did not want in his world.  And for me - that is the basis and the foundation for fulfilling my heart's desires.  Starting with a solid idea of the outcome and then attacking it with (sigh)...patience.

And of course, mixing in the fact that I...

Believe in Forever.

Alex




No comments:

Post a Comment