Analytics

Sunday, September 8, 2013

I missed you!


Finally, back online!
After an awesome first week of travel I am back to the electronic world of MJWL.  I really missed it!  And you!  Life is certainly good, and I enjoy all that I experience where I am, however, there is nothing like the spiritual release that writing has been for me.  Ahhh…back at it again.  Pure joy.

I should probably share with you at this point a little about my travel habits, because it is going to be interesting to see how it impacts my writing adventure.  I am currently an Officer onboard a ship, playing in the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea for the next 3 ½ months.  I work 7 days a week for 10-12 hours a day.  No complaints though, I absolutely love the lifestyle, the people, and the energy of the open sea.  Staring at the ocean when the dawn is breaking over the horizon is nearly as mesmerizing as sitting on the top of the deep green mountains where Rachel and Leo reside.  It’s a beautiful life.

But this will be the first time I have attempted to work AND write.  Here’s the challenge with doing both: When I am in the moment and truly writing I lose myself and all concept of time.  3-4 hours can pass by in a heartbeat.  How will that play out when I am in “whites” every day and expected to be somewhere on time?
It doesn’t matter.  I am so invested in this quest to write about Alex and Lea, Rachel and Leo that I know, I JUST KNOW, I will find a way.  I always do.  When something is this right, you just know it. 

Leo knew when it was right too.  He knew it about people, and he knew when he was about to take on a new equine student.  His connection to horses was heaven sent, and his impact on these beautiful creatures was wonderful to behold.  Allow me to share a moment from his time on the farm. 


Highland Rim Stables usually had three to four clients at any given time.  The horses were brought to the farm for two months of intense training, during which time the owner was not allowed to visit or check in on their steed.  Leo never wanted anything to interrupt the flow of his work, and keeping the owners away kept his trainees focused.  He would not tolerate others breaking the harmony he felt with Rachel on their farm, which is why he also turned down the potentially lucrative requests to board horses.

The students he ultimately accepted into his program ranged from skittish youngsters that just needed to “learn manners”, to hot headed stallions that puffed out their chest and sought to dominate everything around them.  Leo had a gift.  He could develop them all, and his reputation spread, word of mouth, from county to county.  He was never at a loss for work.
Leo’s approach was legendary, and somewhat mystical.  He never whipped a horse into submission, or broke them mentally with muscle and brutality.  He took the time to watch.  Just watch.  He observed their movements, their eyes, the way they carried their head, their breathing.  It all meant something to Leo.   Eventually he made contact, talking to them gently, feeling them, giving the horse an opportunity to feel him as well.  It was only when they had established mutual respect for each other that the work would begin.  Then, through repetition, patience, praise, and plenty of groundwork, Leo would transform a distracted, unruly animal into a glorious, proud equine. 
Leo had a gift for sure, and it was backed with passion.  That's how I feel about writing this story.  Nothing will stop me from getting their journey down on paper.  Time is just an illusion, and it can be an advocate, if you truly...
Believe in forever.
Alex


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment